Håkan Juholt remains party leader for the Social Democrats. This was the decision after a six hour long meeting of the party's executive committee.
- A united executive committee stands behind Juholt, said Sven-Erik Österberg, member of the executive committee according to Sveriges Television.
Österberg describes the difficult situation and that there were long and difficult discussions at the meeting.
- Out party leader is ready to move on and continue his work and we support our party chairman in his work. We believe that he has the possibility to return and recreate the confidence in the party, Östberg continued.
At around four pm, it was announced on the homepage of the public prosecutor that the preliminary investigation againt Juholt's housing benefits is dropped.
"For the act to be seen as criminal, the rules must be clear about the obligation to inform or that there is a developed praxis of which all members of parliament have been informed.", writes chief prosecutor Björn Ericson (in Swedish) on the homepage.
- The actual issue here, reduction of rent because of being co-habitant, is not regulated anywhere, says Björn Ericson to news agency TT.
Juholt: I am deeply regretful
At the press conference after the meeting, Håkan Juholt spoke about his regretfulness but also about future hope.
- I am deeply regretful. I am sad over not finding out the proper rules. No one but me have failed. Not the administration in the Riksdag, not the media, Juholt said.
Then Juholt was asked why people shall have confidence in him in the future, he answered:
- Because the Social Democrats is a party with ideas for a Sweden where we actually choose not to cut in schools but invest in them insted of lowering the restaurant tax. Therefore I believe people will have faith in our party. The elections 2014 will be about the future. Shall we continue on the current road or shall we choose something else. I think that they will choose the Social Democrats.